Thursday, April 06, 2006

Editing LaTeX files under Windows: Scientific WorkPlace



This one is not a freeware or open source (it is even quite expensive - especially in France) :-( but I find that SWP is the most powerful, compatible and user-friendly LaTeX editor that we actually have. There are other open source competitors like the very beautiful TeXMacs or Lyx , but he first is not as compatible as SWP and the second is not yet as flexible as SWP, especially concerning the editing of mathematical expressions. Another nice open source but not at all WYSWYG editor is TeXnicCenter.

SWP can save your files in a compatible format that is called "portable latex" and you can easily compile your files using a standard LaTeX motor (I, for example, use Miktex instead of the specific compiler that comes with SWP: TrueTex).

Mackichan provides two versions of this editor: Scientific Word (the editor only) and Scientific Workplace. The workplace version is more expensive because it comes with a algebraic computation system: Mupad. If you have an official version of Maple, you can also use the kernel provided by the latter (I find it more powerful by the way). In fact I do not possess a complete copy of Maple but I have conserved the last kernel that I have had with an old version of SWP (SWP was used to come with Maple) and I configure SWP for this kernel and this sea tup perfectly works. As consequence, I can do computations or plot expressions directly from SWP.

No comments: